I am a documentary filmmaker with a particular interest in animal / people stories and marine and polar subjects. I currently work for the BBC Natural History Unit in Bristol, where I’m a Director / Producer. My most recent project was the BAFTA-winning (and Emmy nominated) series, Planet Earth II for which I produced the opening episode about Islands.
Planet Earth II: ‘Islands’ (2016, BBC One), The Great British Year: ‘Autumn’ (2013, BBC ONE more here), Science at the End of the Earth: Producer (2012, Frozen Planet DVD Extra), The Coral Gardener: (2008, BBC TWO), Steve Leonard: My Life with Animals: (2008, BBC TWO info here), Wild Scilly (2008, BBC TWO info here), Puffin Island: ( 2008, BBC TWO info here).
As Director / Assistant producer
Wild Arabia: Director of whaleshark shoot & ‘making of’, (2013, BBC TWO),
Frozen Planet: Assistant Producer / Director (2007-2011), (2012, BBC ONE and Discovery Channel, US info here), Unknown Africa – Comoros: Assistant Producer / Second Camera, (2008, BBC TWO info here), Top Wild Dives with Tanya Streeter: Assistant Producer / Interview Director (2007, BBC TWO).
Wild Tribes – Coral Reef Sea Gypsies: Researcher / Dive support (2008, BBC TWO info here), Diving with Dolphins: Researcher / Dive support (2007, BBC TWO). Shark Therapy 1: Researcher / Dive support (2007, BBC TWO), Shark Therapy 2: Researcher / Dive support, (2007 BBC TWO), Charlotte Uhlenbroek – My Life with Animals: Researcher (2006, BBC TWO). Storm Geese: Researcher, (2005, BBC TWO). Dive Galapagos: Researcher (2005, BBC TWO). Great Whites, Great Britain?: Researcher, (2006, BBC ONE), Incredible Journeys – Osprey Odyssey: Researcher (2006, BBC ONE), BBC Nature, Blue Planet Website: Researcher / content editor for website, (2004, BBC).
Abyss 2 Interactive: Scientific contributor for live broadcast event, interactive channel (2003, BBC red button), The Blue Planet: Media logger (2002, BBC ONE ).
AWARDS – Planet Earth II:
- BAFTA Best Specialist Factual 2017
- Virgin TV ‘Must see moment’ BAFTA (public vote – snakes v iguanas)
- Broadcast Awards 2017 Timeline TV Moment of the Year (racer snakes v iguanas)
- Broadcasting Press Guild Best Documentary Series
- EMMY nominations for Best series, Best Director, Best Sound, Best Music, Best Cinematography, Best Editing
AWARDS – For the Coral Gardener:
- Best short film, Wildscreen Film Festival 2010
- Best short film, Hawaii Marine Film festival 2011
- Finalist (Best short film), Jackson Hole Wildlife Film Festival 2009
- Invited festival screenings: Sonoma Environmental Film Festival (January 2011), Wildscreen Outreach – India and Sri Lanka (February 2011), San Francisco Green Film Festival (March 2011), San Francisco Oceans Film Festival (March 2011), Environmental Film Festival in the Nations Capital, Washington DC (March 2011).